Translate

Saturday, September 28, 2019

Churchills Chief & Burns My Dieppe Part 5

Two more down with one to go to round out my first two Calgary tank troops for Dieppe. A slight delay was experienced when my magnifying lamp bulb failed but an extremely timely visit by my old wargaming mate Grant saw it replaced.
My Chief command Churchill Mk I has two figures proud of their hatches (obviously) and both are from the Hasegawa kit with one converted to reposition his arm. The snorkel exhaust like the others were modelled using aluminium tubing and fuse wire.
For the construction of the chespaling bobbin array see my previous posting Chief & Backer: My Dieppe Part 2. Apart from painting it I fixed a length of poly broom bristle which I bent and fixed at the loader's hatch and the chespaling rig.
Even I have to admit that I'm pretty happy with the results and in spite of the age this build took at least I've ended up with a reasonably unique representation for my Dieppe raid. Oh, and because the release or control wire to the bobbin is fixed to the turret, it's the only model whose turret is fixed into position.
And here's Burns, the other troop command tank. I like to differentiate my command tanks with their commanders exposed - perhaps he's waving at Chief? I'm a little over building and painting WWII stuff to be honest but will push myself to finish the two dingoes and the Mk III before leaving for other time periods.


Monday, September 16, 2019

Three Churchills Down: My Dieppe Part 4

I made it at least partly to the end. These are the first three of six Churchill tanks (2 x Mk 1 and a Mk2) for my Dieppe re-fight. I've decided not to complete the base colours and textures until such time as I do the terrain for the Dieppe chert beach - some way away in the future.
As I stated in an earlier post, these models were painted entirely with brushes which I believe are just as effective as an airbrush - at least for this sort of simple colour scheme. I paid particular attention to painting the snorkel exhausts with a base coat of brown, stippling with orange and then yellow mixes before a brown wash over the top.

In fact, I paid a lot more attention to how I painted everything. The rubber tracks were sprayed with a  matt black undercoat together with the whole model before a brown wash and then a simple steel dry brush. I don't believe I had ever done that before. I refrained from any mud or dust weathering as they were new to combat, off the ramp into the water and onto a the chert beach.

I pin washed with oils, chipped the vehicles lightly and very lightly rust washed in careful vertical strokes in selected areas. I finished off with an extremely light dry brushing.
I chipped selectively with a lighter base colour then inset steel. This was another first and I think it turned out fine. Can't say I enjoyed that process at all - tedious when done across five vehicles.

All shots are taken in completely natural light as my fluorescent magnifying lamp just blew it's bulb. Thankfully my good mate Grant is visiting in three days with a replacement to the rescue. There are none to be had in Tonga and so I cannot do anything at my work table for the time being.

The other two Churchills are waiting for their exposed tank crew to be finished and I've let the Mk III and Daimler Dingoes lag behind.