Battle for Quebec: Otway's 35th regiment of foot
Leaping straight into this very large unit, I was required to prepare for converting 44 sets of cuffs prior to undercoating. This unit really did absorb a lot of effort and is another massive battalion and the last of the real big ones. In fact, I will only have four more regiments to go all of which are 30 figures and less - hooray!
This unit is all advancing with bayonets charged and once more mainly Redoubt Miniatures - the last of my original purchases. This unit has a very interesting and different cuff lace with a fish-bone pattern extending up the arm from the cuff. Redoubt Miniatures come with a box-grid lace extension up the arm from the cuff which I cut away and filed off each miniature. I determined to paint on the fish-bone.
Otway's 35th have very unusual orange cuffs and turn-backs and for this reason I have deepened the red coat tone to help contrast the cuffs and lace more than I normally do. With the same contrasting intent, I kept the orange mix from mid to lighter orange. At least this is what I thought I was doing.
The advancing pose is not varied within the Redoubt Miniatures range so I carefully twisted heads in an attempt to generate some individuality. I even cut away one figures leg from the base which makes it look like the soldier has lost his balance - but that was all I could achieve so I left it at that. Any other irregularity will have to rely on fixing them irregularly to their bases
I left all metallic painting until after matt spray coating them. My artists picture varnish flattens everything in the extreme so I thought I'd wait until after that application before finishing barrels, buckles, locks and bayonets. I thought I'd finish them off easily over my isolated Easter but they took so long. A whole day was spend painting white lace and grenadier mitre designs - an exercise in cross-eyed madness.
I based the lot with either figures on four figure frontage bases (80mm) although the flanking bases have only six figures if you pay attention. I just love that I came to realise these minor details don't matter any more - so liberating. These are likely the widest bases I would ever have and I have only done so because of the size of these battalions and the fact they are designed specifically for a re-fight on the relatively open fields of the Plains of Abraham (table-top). Generally, a maximum of 60mm bases wide is preferred so a unit can march in column through narrow streets or over model bridges within the confines of the model. I just loath looking at precarious bases balancing on ill-suited terrain pieces ... ugly.
I'm happy with the result and they are a very different and colourful mob but I'm even happier I don't have to paint them any more. To be frank, I am exhausted and over painting tricorn infantry for a while which is just as well because I'm all out. I'll not be able to get any more to me whist stranded in Tonga so for the time being my British for Quebec are on hold. I imagine when the nations come out of lock-down I'll end my posting and return to Oz. In the meantime, it's back to Rome