PREPPING Ceasarians

I don't make a habit of posting too many unfinished projects but whilst I wait for the undercoat to dry I thought I'd quickly highlight what I am doing for my next Roman Caesarian cohort.
I have remembered to putty fill the gap at the back of the Warlord Games signifer where the head meets the 'cape' of the lion skin. I am using an Aventine Miniatures unit standard.
I chopped and swapped the top of the Centurion helmet onto the base of a legionary head to get a more Gallic helmet design and a different face. This one ended up a little taller than previous conversions (which I have no problem with) and required some putty filling and sanding. As you can see, I worked in a decorative band around the skull - inspired by Aventine Miniatures designs.
The Warlord Games tubicen (playing the tuba) comes with a bear's head cut short about the neck. I decided for this cohort to provide a fuller bear skin to go with it care of some Green-stuff. I had to carve out a proper mouth at the end of the tuba.
The signifer and Centurion should have decorated belts but I wanted them both upright this time and only one pose is provided by this set with an upright stance - without a decorated belt.
I remembered (this time) to carve off all gladius hilts off the torso and they all have Aventine Miniatures shields which require a bit of drilling, filing and careful gluing with Selley's Araldite. I'm still hording plastic shields for testudos, hence the extra effort with the shields. This lot took more than a day to prep for undercoat.

Comments

  1. Nice prep work, it's always interesting to see how others work as we all have our own ways of doing things!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caveadsum - I figure we all learn off one another.

      Delete
  2. Very nice work Greg - you do have an inclination towards perfection which I just would not have the patience for. Very admirable mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. I just have a lot of time on my hands. Latest indications are I won't be getting home until October most like. When this lot is done I'll have made 10 cohorts but only 8 for that particular legion. I'm about to box up a stack of completed figures to ship home. Crazy times.

      Delete
    2. Nice custom work on these Romans.

      Delete
    3. Cheers Dean. It seems I'm doing a lot for this sort of stuff these days. These Romans have stalled after their undercoat as I'm working on another British infantry unit for Quebec - sculpting hands, changing pom-poms etc.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts