Book Review: Brothers of thhe Capucine

 

So far this year I've not taken any time toward advancing my hobby projects. My domestic circumstances altered drastically and I continue to channel my energies toward renovating my home. Yesterday; however, due to extremely wet weather I did something I rarely do - I devoted my day to reading a book.

I think we all recognise and appreciate our various sources of inspiration and I'm delighted to say I have found a new well-spring. I am unable to provide much balance in this review as I have nothing negative to say about it. It's really a flat out recommendation.

Like many of us, I've been reading almost all of Bernard Cornwall's works since I was a very young man. Over this summer I read his latest Sharpe novel ('Sharpe's Assassin') , which I enjoyed as I was almost certain to. I doubt I would have ever bought it myself but my darling daughters gave it to me as a Christmas gift and whatever they buy me I consume. The problem with my take on Sharpe novels is that it just seems like squeezing a lemon beyond its real usefulness. For me, the 'proper' series ended with Sharpe's Waterloo in 1990.

Brothers of the Capucine is something fresh and exciting. Written by my fellow countryman, Rob McLaren, it takes place in 1793 and centres around the exploits of the fictional Captain Andre Jobert. As you may surmise, it is the first in a series of adventures from within the ranks of the French army of the republic and I'm very pleased to note that Jobert is a cavalryman.

I don't read a lot of fiction these days and haven't done so for near twenty years. I'm making a very pleasant change and was enjoying this book so much I ordered the sequel when only half way through it. I also note the third is due out next month which for me will be a sure purchase.

I'm not going to critique this novel (published in 2020) and will give nothing away - so no spoilers here. I will say Mr McLaren pays attention to the horses as members of the regiment in and of themselves which really helps to put me right in the saddle so to speak. I like the way his narrative of historical events is largely dealt with through the dialogue between the characters. I also really applaud how various exploits are driven by logistic concerns and attempts to secure provision from one quarter or another - a genuine pre-occupation of command.

My favourite scene is an engagement between a vedette and an infantry column - McLaren's descriptions are masterful and I could see the scene unfolding in my mind like I was watching it on film. I also really enjoyed the character development across quite a range of officers and NCOs with some playful and good humoured illustrations.

Frankly, I can't recommend this novel enough. It has some really interesting features including a number of maps to assist in setting the scenes - some more useful than others, but they are all well executed. He has included a 'Dramatis Personae' annex which helps track who is who within the regiment (24th Chasseurs) as well as a bibliography, measurement conversion table, military organization list and an historical chronology.

I have yet to check out his website but I'll be sure to visit www.jobert.site shortly. In the meantime, I have Duty on a Lesser Front ahead of me.




 

 

Comments

  1. Very interesting, only book I have read from a French perspective in the Napoleonic wars was "7 men from Gascony"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts