French Napoleonic Horse Artillery 1815: Part 3

 

Well, there you have it ... the model complete. Visiting family over school holidays and work managed to impede progress in the last quarter of the build but I got there in the end.

I enjoyed building and painting this unit and making what I reckon to be my most complete artillery limber to date. There is an error; however, not that you'll see it in these shots.

 

Why is it that oversights in the build only become apparent half way through painting or after undercoating? It's maddening. The four converted and mounted artillery crew were finished with brass eagle plates on their cartridge pouches! They of course should be crossed cannons which would have been so simple to have done with a file and some putty.

If I wasn't determined to make the battery with limber (always best) I could have cracked out the deployed unit in short order. Mind you, my order from Elite Miniatures Australia arrived without the 6pdr barrels - unhelpfully. My great mate Marshal Grant came to the rescue with a pile of un-allocated Elite artillery spares but that delayed matters a little.

 


Fielding a battery of French guns is something I thought never to do, given I've fought against the French with my British Peninsular army for 30 years. It'll be nice not to be on the receiving end of these buggers for once.

I am already into painting my last Infantry battalion for my first French brigade and have rushed into building and undercoating a set of 15 Line Lancers from Perry Miniatures - just super gorgeous. Onwards!
 


Comments

  1. Very nice Greg. These are very, very well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, I've been admiring the quality and quantity of your Prussian expansion also, Is there no end?

      Delete
  2. Really splendid work Greg…
    I only wish I had the determination to create limbers for all/any of my artillery…
    Love the basing…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Aly. My small group insists you cannot move artillery unless you replace the deployed battery with a limber. We are also introducing limited ammunition unless you have a caisson. I've just taken possession of a flocking box and will start experimenting soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts