Miniature Builder's Yard: ECW Houses Part 3


A Word on DAS

I started with some left over DAS I had worked with over six months to a year ago. I've heard people have difficulty in keeping it from drying out when storing long term after opening. Well, mine was fine. I had it wrapped heavily in clingfilm and then double bagged in clip sealed plastic bags and stored in a box in my garage.

I think that mixing PVA into the clay does make a marginal difference and increases it's plasticity when working with it. I also prepare the surfaces with water and a light smearing with PVA on top of that before applying the clay. I'm also forever dipping my fingers in water and it really works best when slippery.


Building Completed

I've decided that for the time being I'm going to stop short of painting these models. The DAS thatching took a lot longer than I anticipated but then I did do six buildings at once. I'm very pleased with the results and will add a country inn and a barn with assorted rural out-buildings but I want to switch over to my terrain boards over the  next week. My vision is also sufficiently strong now to get back to my figure painting.

On three of the thatch caps I etched in the stitching (my term) used to tie it together which can be quite decorative albeit not always evident. I had thought to inlay twine into the grooves but lost the will after the simpler ziz-zag pattern.

 

Every time I thought I was done, I'd think of another step - such as the steps themselves at the door thresholds. I had to cut away the brickwork at the doorways then inset a balsa piece for the front step.

You can also see from the above shot that after lopping the chimney tops square on my band-saw I carefully cut out a section to give the chimney mouth some depth.
 
You can see the texturing on the walls which was achieved by stippling pre-mixed putty onto the surface with a stiff bristle-brush, after which the timber framing required a careful sanding.

I've always made my own buildings. I like the construction and being able to field unique terrain pieces. With this lot I also need to build some yards and a series of stone walls - so I'll need more DAS and will be getting my rollers out again. I also want a stream and a water-mill but that's a little way off yet. 

Comments

  1. Lovely building work Greg…I am looking forward to seeing them painted.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Aly. For the time being I'm putting it on hold but you can be sure I'll post it when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent looking buildings, great finish, I had double cataract operations before Christmas and it took a little time to adjust, happily less than I expected!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your praise. Eyes ... whaddayado? It's a set back but we live in a marvelous age of modern medicine. I'm informed that cataracts are a guaranteed side effect of retinal surgery - it's matter of time. I'm glad I have the means and access to correct it when it comes.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I'll be sure to post an update when I paint them - whenever that will be.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts