Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
|Harry Payn: Scaling the Heights of Abraham|
|Wolfe shot in battle.|
on the Plains of Abraham
|George Campion: Battle of the Plains of Abraham|
|1894 reproduction of The Battle of Quebec|
by Augustus Thorley
Sunday, January 23, 2011
Saturday, January 15, 2011
Based on the combined arms groups known as 'Jock Columns', I purchased most of the makings for this battle group years ago, but as experienced wargamers around the world know all too well, shopping and building are two mutually exclusive past times. Not any more ... at least for this mob. The figures are from Raventhorpe who, at my time of purchase was the only company offering greatcoats for early war British infantry. I wanted a unit that was operating in the winter desert between being booted out of Cyrenaica and capable of joining in the counter-offensive 'Operation Compass' later that year in 1940.
I opted for three different vehicle types for motorised transport. I went for the distinctive Canadian Military Pattern (CMP) 3 ton lorry with the No.13 cab (leading photo), the Bedford OY 3 ton lorry and the Morris GS 15cwt (pictured above). All vehicles needed to be in general service at this period and all models are white metal offerings from Skytrex. As usual, I required to refer to images of corresponding lorries to figure out the configuration of these models - assembly details such as where to locate spare tyres was not as obvious to me as it might have been. On this note a request to manufacturers - it you can't include an assembly guide with the model, then a few more shots of completed kits on your websites would be invaluable.
All vehicles are marked up for 7th armoured division with the original jerbora field sign, original base bridge plates (yellow circles with weight classification) and have the designation numerals '61' on a green field sign for the first motorised infantry battalion for the division - or is that the second? All markings are hand painted and I located them variously across and between the three vehicle types.
The following image is the assembled cast - a little reminiscent of the original Rapid Fire photos within the first rule set. I have based most of my figures in pairs for ease of movement but in a fore and aft alignment like fighting pairs - fire and movement being the idea. The ruin in the background is scratch built and there is an entire composite desert fort I have also scratch built which can be adapted for a small or medium sized structure.
The base is a basic box frame with the windlass fixed as part of the casting. The principle upright is a similar box frame complete with cushion to take the throwing arm and both of these two main section fit well together with a minimum of filing and make for a sturdy model. I fixed my base section to a 3mm MDF base from the start, building the model as one piece.
Friday, January 7, 2011
This is certainly about as close up as I want to go for my 20mm efforts and I'm sure many would agree that different scales and paint jobs for that matter don't warrant too close a shot to highlight all the imperfections. After all, these aren't creations aimed at competetive modelling. They are built for wargaming. The first few backgrounds are from watercolours.
At times you can see the creases in the corrugated cardboard I mounted the prints on. The angle of the lighting should overcome this feature if it bothers you. I haven't bothered with many foreground items as I can't remember how to pre-designate my focus - something for next time perhaps. These pictures are only the ones which turned out - plenty didn't.