You Get What You Pay For: A Cautionary Tale

Last year whilst marooned in Tonga, I was convinced to step into the electrically charged world of static grass applicators. I'm still committed - or should be. I elected; however, to make a purchase based on ideology and maybe price ... which was a mistake.

Static Grass Applicator 73mm Large Hopper

The image above is the large hopper variant of the static grass applicator made and distributed by the Queensland based company, Ground Up Scenery. As an Aussie, I bought this to support a new company (since 2019) and saw their demonstration video on-line. At AUD77.00 it was significantly cheaper than something like a NOCH Grass Master which retails here for excess of AUD200.00 being a European import.

Well, after several experiments and much trial and all error, it just doesn't bloody work. It takes two AA batteries which likely isn't sufficient and whilst it sparks when you check the grounding clip to the mesh hopper-screen, their static grass just won't stand up for anyone. Have no fear, I tried everything except sticking the grounding clip up my .....

Properly disgusted, having bought this near a year ago and having not retained a receipt, I binned the bugger last night. For the second time this year with the declaration that sometimes you just have to throw money at some problems, I got on-line and stumped-up the oojah and ordered the abovementioned NOCH applicator which is a reputed success and takes a 9 volt.

So, don't make my mistake. Sometimes brands are brands for a reason. Add my failed purchase together with the replacement and I'm AUD300 in the hole - just think of the figures I could have bought for that!

Comments

  1. As my old school (born 1900) grandmother used to say 'buy cheap, buy twice'! hope you enjoy your Noch. I have the Woodlands Scenic one, which also takes 9v and I am happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wise woman your Grandmother. Every now and again we take a chance looking for the secret bargain - but alas.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear! Hope the new one works out for ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. It's holding up my latest posting of a new unit as I want to apply my own tufts to the bases. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

      Delete
  3. I have to admit that it looks like something a Snake Oil salesman might sell you to cure baldness…😁
    I hope your new one works better (not to cure baldness of course)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I didn't mention the operator needs three hands unless you bang an iron nail into the surface near the flocking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts