Converting My Cavalry: 3rd Dragoon Guards using Elite Minatures - Part 2

 

'I wonder what I'll do,' was my parting comment on my last post. Well, all at once I've been building an additional 9pdr, painted my Coldstream Guards AND finished these bad boys. I present the first two squadrons of the British 3rd Dragoon Guards for my early period Peninsular War collection.

I really enjoyed painting these Elite figures - as I always do. Most of the hard work on this build was the preparatory conversion work. When it came to painting, it felt more like a relief. I also really wanted to see how they came alive.
 
I think I most enjoyed painting the various dark hues of these black and bay mounts and I just enjoyed watching the watering cap and bicorn mix slowly come together for a more field-natural look.

With hindsight, I could have cut grooves in the basket hilt guards to bring the swords closer to the Napoleonic pattern but over a short time, I'll not notice so much. These are my only standing squadrons within what is now a small cavalry division (four regiments).
 
I really should be cracking on with the two remaining squadrons. I have to admit, painting just 12 cavalry at a time is a breeze compared to what I normally do. They evolve so quickly! But I have all but finished the Coldstream Guards AND I'm already painting the Scots Guards to complete (finally) my First Division after over 20 years. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm in the middle of a 28mm arms race and it's driving my productivity remorselessly.


 



Comments

  1. They look superb Greg, a nice addition to your Brits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. It's been more than 15 years since I last added cav to this army. Makes you think.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts