Guards Brigade at Busaco: Part 1 of 3

Scots 3rd Foot Guards Lieutenant-Colonel's Colour
 

As I type this I've actually finished painting both regiments for my Guards Brigade - the 1st Battalion 2nd Foot 'Coldstream' Guards and the 1st Battalion 3rd Foot 'Scots' Guards. They are for the time being subject to my terra-forming - I'm texturing and painting their bases.

1st Company Regimental Colours 'Coldstream' 2nd Foot Guards

I have particularly enjoyed painting their colours (flags) surprisingly, as I'd though I was heartily sick and tired of creating British standards as there's been so many this year. By the time of my Scots Guards, I was up to making my twelfth flag which was feeling a bit 'samey'.

6th Company Regimental Colours, Scots Guards (3rd Foot Guards)
 

The difference between the Guards regiments and others of the line when it comes to colours is that each company had it's own set. They all differed from one another and did not confirm to the usual pattern of the other regiments - not a wreath in sight! The King's colour came in different versions: for the Guards if could be the Colonel's, Lieutenant Colonel's or the Major's colour. The 'Regimental Colour' was based on the Union Jack (confusingly as this is the reverse of Line Regimental practice) and each company had it's own, different colour.

Colonel's Colour 'Coldstream' 2nd Foot Guards

Then I remembered reading how it was common practice for ensigns to wrap the flags half around the poles to reduce weight or drag and make them easier to manage. I had not represented this before so was quite keen to depict the last set (Scots 3rd Foot Guards) in this manner. It's the little differences which keep me going sometimes.

I should mention the poles and flags are all hand made from material but the finials are from Front Rank - soon to be distributed by their new owner Griping Beast. The ensign figures are from Offensive Miniatures.

Comments

  1. Brilliant looking standards and ensign Greg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate - you are very kind. Been loving your posts and games - a feast for the eyes.

      Delete
  2. Lovely standard bearers and standards Greg…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. These boys have been a real long time in coming.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Your painting of the Guard's colours is superb. I too bought the ensigns from Offensive Miniature (generally very nice figures) but was perturbed by the inclusion of a shoulder sash in addition to the standard waist sash, which is incorrect. It appears that you got around this by painting the erroneous shoulder sash as a rolled blanket. Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ID I t blanket paint blanket rolls - I never saw them as anything else. I could be wrong. Funny how every now and again we can't identify something the sculptor includes. I had to trawl the internet to discover what ended up being a knife at the waist of their pioneer's apron. For a while I had no idea how to paint them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts