Additional Edition: Suspicions Confirmed

 

If anyone is expecting a comprehensive book review then I'm afraid I have to disappoint. This wonderful tome arrived yesterday and I'm already getting ahead of a backed up reading list in flicking through and browsing it for information. Good grief ... what a great edition to my library. It's also a high quality print and as heavy as a coffee table atlas.

A glance inside the dust jacket and Paul Dawson's credentials are hopelessly impeccable (as Michael Caine says in The Eagle Has Landed). It's also clear from the introduction and by the forward by none other than Professor Tony Pollard that this has been a Herculean research effort from hitherto untapped French and English archives.

It also dives very deep into the sort of minutia that I didn't think possible and I'm delighted to have some of my own preconceptions confirmed. Now as I said, I've only started to tap into these pages but Dawson and his team gives us a regiment by regiment account of uniform and equipment for the Armee du Nord and it is clear at least for the first two regiments I am fielding for my Waterloo game  (85 and 95th regiment of the line) that they were fully uniformed for the campaign.

I couldn't be happier that my purchases of Front Rank fully uniformed French infantry has been fully vindicated. To quote Dawson's findings for the 85th regiment, "... virtually every man under arms on 1 January 1815 had recieved, or would receive, a new beige capote, a new habit and new pantalons du tricot. In many respects, the regiment was dressed as new at Waterloo." Giddy-up! Unfortunately it also seems likely my drummers should be in blue, not green ... but I'll get over it.

 

Comments

  1. Excellent news Greg as I also have this wonderful book to review for our club, the NWS or Napoleonic Wargaming Society, as well and thought many of your observations as well. There is no doubt that it is a top notch production and anything in print that also features the tremendous work of Keith Rocco is always off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen brother. I can hardly believe it's dived deep enough to give me precisely regiment by regiment details.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Sure is Ray. For someone hung up on detail (as I can be) it's heaven sent.

      Delete
  3. A splendid book indeed Greg…
    It has got my butterfly fluttering all over the place…
    I can see a Waterloo project coming up at sometime in the future 😁.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts