There are Many Like them: But These are Mine

 

1/85 regiment of the line

These are my first French Napoleonic infantry since I played with Airfix plastics as a teenager. My Papellotte project requires at least one and possibly two infantry brigades of four battalions each over the course of the scenario and so these two battalions are my beginning.

My good mate Marshal Grant has been fighting me for decades with his French hoard but they are earlier war and for the Spanish Peninsular campaign and I I've turned my own hand to some late war French for 1815.

I've really enjoyed painting these figures. All Front Rank (as was) and in full dress uniform. I'm sure I've expressed my views about French infantry in shako covers and greatcoats previously - especially for Waterloo.

1/85 & 2/85 regiments

I can say after painting piping and all the applications necessary for their shakos times 48, I do get why so many wargamers prefer shako covers and greatcoats and why manufacturers meet this need. They are sooo much more complex than the British stovepipe shako.

2/85 regiment of the line

The offset to their complex shakos comparied to British infantry is that the webbing is much simpler with the white on white across their front and no lace. These two battalions are those of the 85e Régiment de Ligne commanded by Colonel Andre Pierre Masson.



Comments

  1. Great work as always Greg. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I should have built a French army near the beginning of my wargaming life. I used to have Airfix plastics when a youngster - but drifted off.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work on my old favourites, Front Rank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard not to love 'em RR. Super glad GB has them now.

      Delete
  4. Lovely toys indeed Greg…
    I much prefer the Full dress look for the French… True there is a lot more work in them but I think it’s well worth the effort.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts