Argives-A-Go-Go: Resolutions

 

Alright then. It's 2024 and time to get serious about my collection, gaming and my pile of potential. I'm a gamer who only plays with a few people (friends) and am lucky to get six games a year. My good mate Grant is coming across at the end of this week for our first game and to test our Napoleonic campaign system and we discussed how we always resort to Napoleonics and WWII. This is an issue.

Gazing into my cabinet of armies I have a few which I haven't used in years and hardly at all. This is because they lack an opposition which is why I had previously invested in an army of miniatures like my classical Greek Argives. Thanks to Grant's words of encouragement, it's time to boot-up one of these smaller, achievable projects and the Argives are GO!

At under 150 figures  (28mm of course) I will simultaneously re-base my Spartans and by mid-2024 we will get them having a red-hot go at each other across the table-top.

I have several significant major passion projects which have crawled forward and varying rates over the past ten years plus. None of them are nearing completion any time soon except my Papelotte 1815 scenario which will be done this year - I predict. This Argive build will be a quick win and a joyful diversion.

Another resolution is that Grant and I are going to help each other suspend purchasing for a year. After CANCON later this month from which I insist on building a small show bag of impulse purchases, I vow I will buy no more figures until next CANCON in 2025.

Enough is enough for the time being. I have two Napoleonic armies which I haven't even started painting yet in the pipe-line - 1806 Prussian and 1799 Consulate French/Piedmontese. I have a Viking army laying dormant alongside an ECW army (the most recent blow-out) and an Ancient Spanish collection which was a must-have discount bargain I couldn't resist. They are just the armies I haven't even started - I have hundreds (likely thousands) of additional figures for other armies which I have started but are fully floundering as you can't do it all at once - it's a joke.

Let's see how we go. I also want to get my terrain options sorted out - finishing my Mediterranean boards, building my bespoke Papelotte boards and getting some Western European green fields underway. AND all this in the spare time I have less of. 

So stay tuned for the Gorgeous Greeks.

Comments

  1. Great to see you return to this blog mate! I was literally just going through how you made your Caesarian testudos with a mate. We started a Roman Civil Wars project a few years ago but it stagnated, and we have been revitalising it for playing To The Strongest. I'm using many of the same figs you used, so your blog has been very useful for ideas and inspiration - thank you!

    The Argive project sounds like a great 2024 objective - I will watch with interest. And yes, the struggle is real regarding collections of untouched figures but you are far from alone - remember its "pile of potential" not shame! :-)

    cheers
    Paul

    PS Maybe we can catchup for a coffee at CanCon - LMK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Paul,. One of these days I might even play those testudos - I still believe in miracles. Looks like I'll be at CANCON on the Friday for sure but can be there at other times for that coffee. I only loiter and catch up with the occasional mate so I'll free to come and go. Pretty sure my e-mail is linked to this account but if not - geebards@hotmail,com.

      Delete
    2. thanks mate - emailed and hope to meet you in a few weeks!

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your Greeks…
    My butterfly took a flutter in that direction recently… so far I have only picked up a couple of books from Osprey.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have the first 24 figure hoplite unit built along with 16 slingers to kick it off. Perhaps I can encourage you to properly scratch that itch?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts