The Prince of Wales's 12th Light Dragoons: 100 Days 1815

 

Once again, my life beyond the table-top slowed these chaps down a lot over the holiday season but here they are, ready for action.

This is my impression of Lieutentant Colonel Frederick Cavendish Ponsonby's 12th Light Dragoons - the Prince of Wales's own. All figures for this regiment are Perry Miniatures plastic figures (28mm of course).
 
They were fielded in three squadrons at Waterloo, mustering 433 sabres and I have them in three squadrons of six figures each.

This time I undercoated the completely built models using an airbrush and the results were far superior for how I paint - a thinned wash technique using enamels. In the past, I applied metal primer using a brush as I do with metal miniatures - with mixed results.

 

The basing has Peco tufts of two different shades, my own tuft blends using my Flock-box, direct application of static grass to fill in the gaps and some judicious placement of flower tuft sections. The taller grass is Noch scenics grass, clumped, glues down and trimmed.

My Papelotte scenario has this regiment as an optional entry so they may rarely make an appearance in that game. This regiment also saw a lot of service in the Peninsular so if I ever play a later Peninsular game, I now have some cavalry for it also.
 
This is the penultimate unit for the Papelotte build, the last being another unit of British light dragoons - the 16th. You'd think I would just crack on but I've lost a little steam for Napoleonics - have no fear, it never lasts. I'm a little consumed with my Ancient Greeks and trying to get some smaller armies I have serviceable for gaming - like the Celts.

I also have 15 various mounted command figures ready to paint for my Anglo-Portuguese Peninsular army which will be needed for this year's campaign. The work station does look a trifle busy, I admit.
 




Comments

  1. That’s a lovely looking unit Greg…
    It’s a very attractive uniform… Apparently it wasn’t that popular with the men… It looked a bit to French…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly and I'm not surprised. Even with chin-scales, I can only imagine bobbing about at the trot with a shako would be maddening.

      Delete
  2. Truly excellent work, both the painting and basing are terrific!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts