ARGIVES-A-Go-Go: Shields (Hoplon)

For only the second time in my wargaming life, I am using decals or transfers (both actually) for my Argive Hoplite shields - or hoplons. I am using two types - Little Big Men Studios shield transfers and Battle Flag shield decals.

The above image is a set of hoplites with shields using the Big Men Studios transfers. There are some extremely useful YouTube videos clearly demonstrating how to apply these and my thanks to the fellas for their efforts - much appreciated.

In summary, these are reverse printed transfers covered in a plastic film. You must trim them closely from their sheets, then peel off the plastic film which exposes the transfer which has a sticky surface. You then position them on the shield and press gently. This exposes the paper side outwards which I then brushed water over - the paper sliding easily off the shield on the second application.

 

The four figures to the left in the above image have shields using the Battle Flag shield decals. These are the usual water slide decals most of us will be familiar with which I assume requires no explanation for how to apply them.

Once dry, I applied two general coats of Micro Sol decal softener which essentially melts the decal onto irregular surfaces - in this case across the curved hoplon. This is essential and did a bang up job. Both types of transfer/decal were large enough to cover the entire centre of the shields (not including the rim) and require no touch up painting - hugely appreciated. As an aside, it's amazing how long the bottle of Micro Sol has lasted me - years and more years to come. After drying over night, I applied a coat of gloss varnish to seal in everything when I got up this morning.
 

A tip when using either product is to paint the surface white before application to render true colours. As it happens, one of the two hoplite units I am building is an Argive citzen phalanx which are referred to as having white shields. I have elected to depict them with mostly white painted shield rims and used decals/transfers with largely white backgrounds. Amongst these images, if they are attacking they are Argives and if they are standing (bronze rimmed shields) they are my Argolid supporting phalanx.

Another tip is to be uber-careful when trimming and positioning the Little Big Men transfers. Once fixed, they are essentially immovable and you need to be mindful of getting them dead centre. I have a couple which are slightly off-centre and the only thing for it is to obscure them in the rear rank.

This last image is of the only five Argive hoplons for which I painted decorated shield borders. I really appreciate how seamlessly the decals/transfers blend into the decorated rims. Mind you, macro photography has a nasty habit of exposing any deficiencies.

As I've used Army Painter strong tone shade on all of these figures (64) they remain slightly tacky. I will wait several days until they are completely cured before matt coating the lot, so it will be another week until they are ready for basing.

Comments

  1. Very nice indeed Greg…
    The transfer’s really bring the figures to life…
    They are a real blessing these days… I don’t think I would have even started painting my Romans if I had to paint all the shield designs by hand…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right Aly and I have certainly changed with age. My Spartan army has all hand painted shields - very time consuming. I seem to have lost that inclination.

      Delete
  2. Good job mate. Glad you've finally come to your senses and stopped hand painting all your shields (even though you do an amazing job!). Looking forward to gaming against them! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts