FJR in Normandie: PAK40 ATGs in 20mm

 

I've truly enjoyed building this battery of PAK40 anti-tank guns for my late war German 1944 Fallschirmjager Kampfgruppen. It's been particularly satisfying resurrecting these two older builds and ending up with models just as I saw them in my mind's eye.

I think both the gun models are old ESCI kits I built in the 1980s, one of which had no gun shield. The crews are all FAA 20mm miniatures.

I decided against painting the guns in camouflage, leaving them dunkelgelb as I knew I wanted them heavily concealed anyway.

The tall tufts are Peco model railway scenics with a few of my own home made tufts and some static grass applied directly without using any applicator.


The concealing foliage is made from dried brush flowers I picked up ages ago from a haberdashery with a little application of white glue followed by a dipping in a blend of static grass and flock.
 
The ammo boxes are from a fast build kit for two more 1/72 PAK40 models from Italieri - they are superb by the way - the kits and the ammo boxes.

Next up are the two tractors and towed guns for this battery. That way I can depict them on the table-top both on the move and set to ambush.
 



Comments

  1. Looking good Greg….
    The ‘Cammo’ works really well…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aly. By the end of the year they might even get a game in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts