Hail the YARKSHIRE GAMER

I thought I'd draw anyone's attention who hadn't listened already to the Podcasts of the Yarkshire Gamer - a fellow Blogger.

I'm really enjoying his broadcasts which centre around interviews with prominent British wargamers (so far). His mission is to promote 'big' wargames. He certainly does things on a grand scale himself. For example, I play Rapid Fire WWII which is an essentially battalion based game in 20mm - he does it in 28mm when most people play skirmish rules at that scale. He also has the ability to crack out armies in time-frames I would need retirement to keep pace with.

I suspect he is bucking the media trend in the promotion of skirmish gaming. The first of the broadcasters in wargaming were the trio from TooFatLardies who naturally promote their skirmish level games like Sharpe Practice and Chain of Command through their Youtube broadcasts.

I for one don't skirmish game even if I've thought about it over the years. On the other hand I'm not so sure I'd qualify as a 'big wargamer' - most of my armies would not exceed divisional size. My larger projects would be in the vicinity of 4-500 figures per side. I suppose that makes me a 'medium wargamer'?

I think the key point the Yarkshire Gamer promotes is aspiration to keep building a collection. It all starts with one battalion after all.

The link to this great blog is here:

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2021/05/yarkshire-gamer-podcast-episode-6-von.html

Comments

  1. Many thanks for your kind words, shedding a light back on the old school big game is my goal. A pod cast for old folk painting toy soldiers in sheds is my target audience, all others welcome as well 😀

    Regards Ken
    The Yarkshire Gamer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts