Why the Pile?

The 2023 Great Wargames Survey has explored the reasons people have their various collections of unpainted figures commonly referred to as the 'pile of shame' or 'pile of potential'.

I once heard the statement that a 'real wargamer' means having your own body weight in unpainted white metal. I may have that as I squarely fit into the smaller percentage of wargamers with more than 1000 miniatures in waiting.

So why have this considerable reserve of figures 'to hand'?

As an Australian, most of the ranges I want (nay, need) are from the UK and elsewhere overseas and with our exchange rate and postage costs to get said figures to the ends of the earth, 'specials' and discount deals mans that I pounce on bargains and buy in relative bulk when the opportunity presents.

I have an enduring fascination for many, many periods from the bronze age to the later 20th century. As such, I also move on deals to build armies I will get to one day but am not yet working on or gaming in - but so help me I WILL! Off the top of my head I have whole unpainted/unbuilt armies in waiting for Vikings, Classical Greece (Argos) and the English Civil War, 1799 Consulate French, 1806 Prussian and ancient Iberians (Celtiberians etc).

For me, projects can stall and I have several big ones on the go at any one time. I also game (generally) in 1/20 representative troop scale and mainly in 28mm - so my unit sizes are big and the number of figures required is significant.

Whilst I do better than some, I regard my self as time-poor. I keep my job out of social media as a general rule and do not identify my employer but I am front-line management which peaks more than it troughs in delivery demand. Whilst I am single (divorced) and my children are no longer children and live elsewhere, I very much have a family and social life apart from wargaming. So the pile tends to grow faster than I can erode it.

I predict I will retire in less than two years hence and very much at the centre of my next decade will be a joyous effort to change that white-mountain into a wargaming rainbow. This survey does make me think I should undertake a stock-take.

I might get back for my own record.

 

Comments

  1. All solid reasons for maintaining a surplus of figures. When you retire, attack your Lead Pile with abandon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly see my Lead Alp as front loading for retirement Greg.

    I am not sure how many toys are sat in boxes waiting impatiently for some paint… but not all my carefully labelled boxes actually contain lots of toys… a fair few only contain a couple of units bought for the purpose of painting some sample units…

    So a quick perusal only really confirms that it is indeed an Alp but the size beyond cloud level is unknown 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts