3e Regiment Chasseurs-a-Cheval 1815

This unit is pretty much the last one I need to build for the French in my impending Papelotte Waterloo scenario. This is my version of the 3e Chasseurs-a-Cheval. It is three squadrons strong (6 figures each) and they are a mixture of Front Rank and Perry Miniatures plastics.

According to my information (Dawson's 'Napoleon's Waterloo Army'), the elite squadrons of the 3e were likely to have worn the tall rouleau style shako and the remaining squadrons wore the standard infantry type. The Perry plastic box set doesn't have the rouleau variant but their Hussar box does and as luck had it, I did have one to hand.

I'm quite happy with how this mob turned out and I'm still experimenting with getting my light levels and exposure correct for better photography ... a work in progress. I think one of my issues is I do all my computer work on my 68" TV and I see images in more starker lighting than (for instance) a laptop screen.

I've not been idle whilst my postings have not been so frequent of late. This is the first of four new units I have completed over the past three months so stand-by for a few more immediately following.

Comments

  1. As usual your figures are beautifully painted and superbly based. I agree with you regarding the roller shakos of the elite companies. Louis XVIII had abolished the elite companies of the cavalry regiments. Napoleon recreated them during the Hundred Days. The elite company forms the first squadron with the second company, but the latter is an ordinary company. They therefore have neither the shoulder pads nor the roller shakos.

    I'm a little surprised by your two trumpets. Their clothes appear light blue. It is the distinctive color of the 16th, 17th and 18th chasseurs à cheval regiments. The last two numbers being vacant, only the 16th regiment had celestial blue trumpets. During the first restoration, the King required the drums and trumpets to wear the royal livery. (royal blue color with white braid pigmented with red fleur-de-lys). When Napoleon returned, certain musicians managed to find the green imperial livery. Others had to campaign in Belgium with the King's livery. Others finally took off the white and red royal braid like your elite company trumpet who only had time to modify the right sleeve of his coat.

    The color of your trumpets' coat seems too light because the royal livery is royal blue. But maybe it's due to the flash in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your contribution and kind remarks. I have been battling with my lighting but notwithstanding, I've chosen royal livery and am ever mindful of the behavior of dyes, wear and tear etc. I mix my own paints which results in considerable variation.

      Delete
    2. Excellent looking cavalry, the metal and plastic mix seamlessly!
      Best Iain

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts