4e Regiment de Chevaux-Legeres: 1815 French Line Lancers

Bonjour Mon Ami! I do believe this is my last French cavalry build for my 1815 Papelotte scenario. This is my representation of the 4e Regiment commanded by Colonel Louis Bro. I have long had a love affair with French line lancers which I think it the sexiest cavalry of the entire age, albeit they are under some bloody stiff competition.

This whole unit is from the Perry Miniatures metal range. I did originally buy the Warlord Games plastic box set but when I opened them they fell far short of my expectations. My first lancers (3e regiment) were from the Elite Miniatures range which I like but wanted to invest this time in what I deem the best-in-show.

I never realised until now that I would in fact end up building Jaquinot's cavalry division - four regiments. It's also only now that I also noticed that all cavalry on this flank of the Waterloo battle are all light cavalry (both sides) who sought to probe and scout what proved to be the approaches of the Prussians. So for me, there will be no Union Brigade or French heavy cavalry ... such is life.


I spent up to three hours yesterday making static grass blends, sections and tufts with my flock-box and in fact the glue is not yet completely dry. Contrary to my usual practice, the flag is a paper print out - free from I can't recall where and which I printed off years ago. I had to bunch it up to get it to fit but I quite like the crumpled effect.

All the lance are hand made from better thickness steel wire. I did file off the pennon ends to a point and super-glued the Perry Miniatures lance heads which I drilled out. The pennons themselves are as always crafted from whiskey bottle foil. All was assembled as a complete model before priming and painting.

I know that there is a good argument for depicting the supporting squadron with sabres drawn but at only 15 figures strong, I wanted more lances on show.


Comments

  1. They look brilliant with both ranks of lances! A good decision, I've got the warlord plastic, nowhere near as good but as it was my secret santa present from a grand nephew last year I feel I have to paint them in spite of the 1809 Danube campaign being my main focus and so pre French lancers! Lovely work as always!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts