Cromwells (sort of): Rapid Fire 1/76 Matchbox Comet Conversions

 

I must have converted these three Matchbox 1/76 Comets near 20 years ago. Back then, Comet tank models in 1/72 or 20mm were not so easy to come by and so I kit-bashed the bejesus out of these sets to approximate my own Cromwell troop.

I have just finished renovating them with an improved paint scheme and re-based them on MDF. This first model had some lazy and suspect earlier attempt at foliage camouflage which I have now upgraded. I had previously based them on badly cut balsa which had warped when I textured the bases with plaster. So they had to go.

When I ripped off the old bases; however, a few wheels came off which is when I thought to have two of them running over some obstacles, showing the Christie suspension in full flight. I just cut away some rear detail, sanded the sections and glued the wheels higher up nearer the guards.
 


I quite like how they have turned out. One vehicle is running over a section of collapsed brick wall and the other a tree-trunk. I didn't add much in the way of additional stowage for these three but I have a section of canvasses across the turret of one of them just to make them all a little different from one another.

I ran out of command figures so all three are buttoned up. I think they look sufficiently Cromwell like enough for me. I have another three Dragon metal Cromwells which are likely more accurate to scale. The Comets were slightly larger tanks than the Cromwells but not by much across any dimension. The only thing I couldn't make were their unusual and pronounced port/hatches on the side/rear panels on the turrets ... whatever. I've had fun all the same.


 

Comments

Popular Posts