Fireflies: Rapid Fire 1/72 scale Armourfast conversions

 

Having recently played a large Rapid Fire scenario from the V2 rule book I was made painfully aware that I lacked sufficient Sherman Fireflies. A quick interrogation of my 'pile of potential' revealed a long ago purchased Armourfast Sherman Firefly set (2) and so the build began.

I marked them up as 2 troop, C Squadron 13/18 Hussars at Normandy (no:71) and I troop (no: 67). I added my own stowage tarps etc using green stuff, glued extra sections of track all over the place and a few spare wheels from a cannibalized Sherman kit.
 

I built the extended turret bins on the back using PVC card stock and carefully drilled the aerial stand to receive a cut down synthetic brush bristle.

The commanders are both AB Miniatures and I have to admit to being obsessed with my commanders wearing berets. As you can see I base my vehicles as the Gods intended and used my flock-box static grass applicator which worked a treat I think: applying a blend I made up.

 


I'm pleased to observe in spite of retarded vision in my left eye (temporary hopefully) my magnifying lamp and a steady hand allowed me to hand-paint the turret markings. I think they will do and I have to remind myself these are wargaming models and not intended to compete for 'best-in-show'.

This brings my Sherman Fireflies up to four models . I note that regiments often put all their Fireflies in the one troop but Rapid Fire orbats appear to default to one per troop of Shermans. I should be able to field a regiment now - something I never thought to aim for.

 



Comments

Popular Posts