Just Add Paint: and Voila a WOTR collection

 

This will be more pics than words. Over the past three months I've juggled work, family and illness (nothing serious) with making my previously modest collection of WOTR miniatures into a force I can game with.

No unit is bigger than 16 figures and mercenaries are small (6 for hand-gunners and cross-bow) but I can now field both sides with nine units apiece.

 


Re-basing my Old Glory collection, I added three units of retinue Bill-and-Bow, finally painted my heavy cavalry I started 20 years ago (yep) and added a sprinkling of mercenaries from Burgundy and France.

 

All formations are from an order of battle I've been developing for Mortimer's Cross = Jasper and Owen Tudor's armies against Edward Earl of March, Duke of York. I really enjoy doing both sides and the more I researched the less one sided I have become.

I redesigned my levy troops into three units of levy Bill-and-Bow with two standard bearers carrying a cross of Saint David (to represent Welsh from either side) and one with the cross of Saint George for the English.

 



Above is all of my dismounted men-at-arms which I have actually marked up for three unaligned units of two bases each (old paint jobs).

Scratch built standards were time consuming but ultimately satisfying. I have combinations of banners and standards usually allowing for standards (long swallow tailed affairs) to accompany the baron/knight himself. The standards I have generally elected to carry the badge but on command stands I include the arms.

 

I make my flags using material but Edwards (above) I did years and years ago before developing that technique and it is made from tissue paper.

 

Thus far I only have two command stands which makes games random as hell and lots of fun with Hail Caesar - lots of failed command rolls and hearts in mouths.

 

Whilst I remain enthusiastic about WOTR and know how I need to build these forces further, I'm disciplined enough (just) to finish with this delightful distraction and return to my many longer-term projects. I really must finish basing my Roman legion.


Comments

  1. Excellent. The labels for the units is an idea I might imitate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EG. It's one of the advantages of the 5mm bases. I was listening to the Yarkshire Gamer podcast and his chat with Henry Hyde; however, and Henry really doesn't like thick basses. Basing is a funny subject it seems. Anyway, it presents a real labelling advantage.

      Delete
  2. They look great Greg…
    I love the Banners… you can’t get enough pretty flags.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Aly. You maybe right about the flags but I might have had enough for the time being making them.

      Delete
  3. Great too see them back on the table with some extras!

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts