My War with the Roses: Game One 2023

I have enjoyed greatly playing eight small games of Hail Caesar Wars of the Roses over the past three days with the erstwhile General Grant. This was essentially the first outing for my revamped and boosted WOTR collection which I have been able to build to nine units a side.

After having built and painted most of three boxes of Perry Miniatures plastic WOTR figures to supplement my modest Old Glory collection and am happy to report I'm a big fan. Whilst I am now moving back to other projects (there are soooo many) I will return some time in the future to kick it further along and Perry Miniatures will definitely feature.

All my Bill-and-Bow mixed infantry units (three retinue and three levy) are sixteen figures - ten bow and six billmen/command. I have three units of ten men-at-arms, two nine figure mounted men-at-arms and sundry small units of crossbow, hand-gunners, levy billmen and a small cannon.

 

There's nothing particularly special about my units except perhaps that all my pennons, banners and standards are hand painted cloth - all of which took some time. I'm finishing off the last of the basing now and will post soon on the new units as a whole because I painted the lot at the same time to get this done by New Year.

Such a fun diversion. I just have to work out now what I want to do next - truly way too many choices.

Comments

  1. These games were a huge amount of fun and a welcome change from our usually massive napoleonic slug-fests. The smaller unit sizes and the turn limits has me thinking about the 'size' of any future armies. I'm thinking Moors and the Spanish reconquista....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts