Rustic Farm Houses for the Med

 

Gods but I do love taking rec leave. I get to finish off all those little half completed hobby jobs. In between deciding what figures to paint next, I'm doing a massive amount of basing but also finishing off some terrain pieces.

This and the following model are typically scratch built 28mm farm buildings for the Mediterranean theatre and I had in mind Roman through to Spanish Napoleonic options.
 
They are built onto MDF bases with 5mm foam-board with corrugated cardboard for the roofs. The plaster effect is diluted brushed on pre-mixed putty.

The exposed mud brickwork is simply tears in the paper foam-board covering and then etched brick patterns with a pencil into the foam.
 
Doors and shutters are good old-fashioned balsa.

These new buildings are in keeping with my minimal foot-print approach = smaller buildings are better.
 
You may have noticed I have a bit of a thing for pigs.

I've been struggling with how to approach my built up terrain. I had been a fan of dedicated 30cm square habitation sections with multiple buildings. I think for the time being I can always cluster buildings and we can agree on the hamlet/village boundary which allows for less rigid parameters.

 






Comments

  1. I remain in awe of those who can scratchbuild terrain to this level of excellence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful piece of work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work indeed Greg…
    They look so much more natural than laser cut models.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think by the time I surf the net and order the models and given how long they take to arrive in Aus I could have built something in that time.

      Delete
  4. That is some cracking scratch building there! Great additions to the table that is for sure

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been sorting the shed (again) and whilst I will never have enough ... there's quite a few now. It's just a good break from figures.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts