DUO TESTUDO: Caesarian Romans

I got around to constructing a second Testudo model to compliment my Caesarian Roman legion. This time I used the old Wargames Factory Romans but with the Warlord Games shields as I'm going to need the Wargames Factory shields for a unit of early Praetorians.
Somehow the use of the different shields rendered the unit with a less cohesive or ordered appearance - which I quite like.
I was forced to base them on balsa which bowed ever so slightly across the width which happily allowed the more curved shields to clear the helmets of the flanking legionaries.
I popped the roof shield above the Centurion up a little and fixed a spare arm to look like it was being held up from a rank to the rear. The next one I make I think I'll have a gap opening in the roof caused by a thrown stone.
Finally, a comparison shot. I'll likely make two more of different legions in due course. I've only got a month left before shipping home - so time is of the essence. Next up ... legionary slinger-stands, another Tribune and the Legatus foot command vignette.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks JF, I don't know how many I think I will need but at least my main legion can form up two of it's cohorts now.

      Delete
  2. Very, very impressive! Love the look of the testudo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. Given that I admire your work that's high praise.

      Delete
  3. Another excellent piece, so much that I am going to attempt it also

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. It's the best use of those old Wargames Factory minis. Go for it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts