Praetorians: Caesarian Period

 

I don't recall cracking out a whole unit in such a short time but I managed these Praetorians in a little over nine days. This is my representation of an early Praetorian unit: the type of cohort who are recorded as having served as a field bodyguard for the greater generals such as Pompey, Caesar or Antony. As such, I imagine these toys will only get an outing for larger table-top battles with more than a single legion when my Consul or higher command figure is present.

These are all Warlord Games figures but with the old Wargames Factory plastic shields and decals. The Decanus pictures above with the pronounced crest is a head from the Wargames Factory set.

I included the dead or dying centurion and the severely wounded centurion from the Warlord Games metals supplemental pack. I top coated the bloody wounds with a mixture of gloss red and gloss clear varnish to achieve the grizzly wet look.

I admit that I'm rather pleased with how my Signifer turned out as I had built up his lion skin bonnet from the Warlord Games figure to a full lion mane. I also used an arm and signum from the Wargames Factory set. I'm similarly pleased with how the converted Cornicern turned out also.

To differentiate the Praetorians further from my other cohorts, I retained their plumes. I also opted for quite bright white tunics instead of the dirty brown/grey I generally opt for. I don't know why but this mob look more classically Roman to me just becasue of the red shields.

I gave the Cornicern a brown bear pelt instead of the black I have always gone for. I've already moved on to constructing another 12 legionary slingers for both of my legion variants (XI and III) as I admit to being in a frenzy to get as much done before I ship out back home to Australia. I've got 26 days left in country and yes, I am counting.

Whilst I haven't yet finished my first legion I have nevertheless completed eleven cohorts. I'm half expecting (or hoping) for a delivery in Tonga this week which will be some mule carts, scorpions and a heavy Ballista and should they arrive, I'll get stuck straight in for my last effort in the Pacific.


Comments

  1. Very nice Greg...
    The white plumes and tunics(along with the shields) certainly make the unit stand out

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts