PREPPING MORE ROMANS

 

My next cohort is an early Praetorian guard. The old Wargames Factory box comes with two command sprues allowing me to swap my Warlord Games Tubicern for a Cornicern. The arms are both Wargames Factory as one comes cast with the instrument. As they are cast with sleeves, I have to carefully carve them away and file back to represent bare arms.

I managed to manipulate the mouth piece up to the Cornicern's mouth and the left hand was drilled and filed to fix onto the Cornu and some alteration (cutting and filing) was required with a bit of Green-stuff to make the arm connection to the body fit.

I mistakenly fixed the Warlord Games pelt cape to the back of the Cornicern instead of the Signifer so this officer will be slightly different again to the other cohorts.

There's little doubt that the Signum from the Wargames Factory is superior to the Warlord Games 'bull-on-a-stick' - so the Praetorians get one of those and then I went a bit mad with the Green-stuff to give my Signifer a proper lion mane.

This really happened by accident becasue of my earlier mistake with the plastic fur cape. As I had to build one for this fellow I thought to model it off a proper lion head.

Only time will tell to see if it worked out.

I normally take off all the plumes for my legionaries and leave one on one to represent a Decanus. This time; however, I am leaving the Praetorians with their plumes to indicate who they all are so I opted to swap over a Wargames Factory Decanus head to differentiate this one.

Lastly and typically I converted the Centurions helmet to a Gallicus and this shot also reminds me I've fixed them all with the Wargames Factory shields this time becasue I'm intending to use their decals instead of my XI legio design. I intend to crack on with these - they should be finished in under a week.

Comments

  1. Nice conversion work - another reason I prefer plastics over metals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done Greg...
    I look forward to seeing the finished unit...
    I am tempted to add some Pretorians to my 3rd Century Romans... they are such an attractive looking unit.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I'll see if I can't complete them in a week. You definitely should submit to your temptation and do your later version. I'd like to see that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts