Translate

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Dry Brush Experiment: My Dieppe Part 3

In between guests (peak tourist season) and work I've still been pushing this project forward albeit slowly. I don't have an airbrush in Tonga and I've never really put in the time or effort to master using one anyway. I'm a brush man and this series of tank painting is going to be an attempt to apply higher order model making techniques (layering, weathering, oils etc) within the confines of what I can master with a brush.

I suspect that the end result will be a deep dissatisfaction with all my previous wargaming vehicles and a nagging need to revamp the entire collection over time - I'll cross that bridge when and if I reach it. After all, it has to work first.

I've finished building my first six Churchill tanks (three more OKE flamethrower variants to go) and I'm starting with the first five being the Mk1s and the Mk2 variants in the same colour scheme - Humbrol Khaki Matt 26 enamel.

I spray undercoated the lot in matt black (aerosol) and then started to very lightly dry brush them using a large soft brush. I used a bit of turpentine thinner and was sure to brush off most of the paint onto absorbent paper first. I aimed to keep as much of the recesses untouched as I could and knew that I'd be building up the base colour with two or three layers. The first image in this posting shows the difference between the first and second dry brush coats.
The above shot shows the graduation from the second to the third coat whereupon I decided I was happy with the coverage. I left each coat at least 24 hours between layers. It really has to be bone dry before hitting it again with the brush. It's not too humid here as it's the middle of a Pacific winter - so like a Northern hemisphere summer. I did rest the models next to my de-humidifier over night all the same to really cure each coat.
I then painted the tracks and later the spare link (a cast detail to the side rear) and snorkel exhaust in earth brown as they will have a basic detail of mud and/or rust. In the past I've have been happy enough to proceed with decals and some highlight dry brushing and basic weathering with mud/dirt from this point. This time; however, I will dry brush with clear to protect the base coat and proceed with oil pin washing and shading, apply decals and try my hand at some minimal chipping.
I'll also be experimenting with blending colour variations but I suspect the surfaces are too minimal to notice and am unsure if it would make a difference. As I say, this is experimental for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment