Ancient Greek Gite: Sort of Mycenean

 

I reckon I made these buildings near twenty years ago and the thought of finishing them has been swirling about in my burdened brain all this time. I built them as a base to defend for my Spartans but until having just completed their Argive opponents it's only now I had the need of them.

In series, the three images of the main house is taking you from the back around to the front.

The basic build was of 5mm foam board with balsa detailing based on 3mm MDF. To finish, I stippled moist pre-mixed putty with a cut down bristle-brush then sanded off the balsa details when that was dry and then gave the lot a coat with brown tinted Mod-Podge to seal it all in and provide some depth.

 

I then painted the white in heavy dry-brushing layers of dirty, to warm to stark white. Then it was just a matter of a single paint job for the brown/red detailing and an overall dry brush to hit the highlights. Paint the base, wet-blending variations of green and browns and top off with some dots of static grass and hey-presto.

I built some accompanying out-buildings which I imagine are for poor or slave workers. Together they represent what I imagine is a small cluster farm set-up for some full citizen from one polis or another. At some stage I'll paint up some scatter pieces (urns etc) and one day will provide the scene with some livestock and some folk.
 



Comments

  1. The texture on the walls turned out excellent- very nice buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed Greg…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly. I'll have to get them into a photographed game.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks John. It makes me think to paint some some other buildings - I enjoy building more than painting them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts