Anglo-Allied Peninsular Command: Maj Gen John SLADE

 

"Long, Slade and Erskine ... a sorry lot,
But one makes the best of what one's got,
To think of what could have been fulfilled had La Marchant not been killed."
from Wellington's Generals by Andrew Bamford

To give his his full title, this is my Major General John 'Black Jack' SLADE who is one of my cavalry brigade commanders. Above is the unit card I created for him, as I have for all of my commanders and units using Black Powder - what else? Slade was well placed at court and whilst I can source no portrait of him, the image is of a cartoon attributed to him.

Old Black Jack Slade gets a notorious write up in 'Wellington's Brigade Commanders' (McGuigan & Burnham) and where ever I get any reports on a commander's performance, I try to represent that in their attributes or through special rules.

For my army, Slade has taken a trumpeter from the 4th Dragoons as his escourt as all my brigade commanders are based two figures to a base.

Slade himself is uniformed as a Major General on the staff - so he has blue cuffs - or at least he would have if this excellent sculpt didn't have him in a blue frock coat. Both miniatures are from the Perry Miniatures range and as you will see from the posts to follow, one of the few new command stands with all new figures.

Comments

Popular Posts