Anglo-Allied Peninsular Army Unit Cards

 

For those of you who have read my posts on my Anglo-Allied commanders, you will be no stranger to my command cards. As I stated previously, they are printed on A5 card stock. I also made a complete set of unit-cards for my Anglo-Allied army - horse, foot and guns. 

I went to the effort of creating these for several reasons. Black Powder (my rules of choice) have a range of Special Rules so a gamer needs to know what unit they have and what they can do. Now I have done this with army lists but with individual unit cards, I can blow the font up bigger which is an advantage for me these days.


I also get to write out the Special Rules so with any luck, I can stop leafing through the rule book so much. I also find every quick reference guide ever made has serious limitations - what they include but more importantly, what is left out can be maddening. For a French army, a player may not need so many cards as units are less individualised.

My army does not have standard unit sizes - it's built to the Busaco orbat at 1:20 representative troop scale and I have several units which we designate 'huge' in terms of stamina, shooting and hand-to-hand combat values. The differences in my unit strengths also present a range of differing unit characteristics which the cards will help track.


It is also hoped these cards will enable me to build a quick points-based army to accompany the campaign Marshal Grant and I are playing. When I know how many points I have in campaign terms which come to battle, I just pull out the corresponding combination of cards.

If they work as well as I think they will, I will make this my standard playing-aid for all of my armies. I have in fact already created a full set for my Ancient Greeks.

Comments

Popular Posts